Friday, September 4, 2009

Munich


Since our times at Stansted Airport, our experiences have gotten much better. After a few naps and a Guinness, we took off at 7am for Memmingen, Germany. The flight was about an 1 hour, 15 minutes and ultimately a easy trip. After arriving and going through customs, we mounted a bus headed for Munich. The bus ride took about 40 minutes. When we arrived in Munich, it was fairly sunny and the city was very busy! We headed towards Wombat's (our hostel). While checking in at Wombat's, we ran into Tom and Brian, some fellow Johnnies who we had discussed meeting up with. We were all fortunate enough to be bunked in the same room. We all settled in and washed up, got some lunch, and then head out to explore the city.
Our first stop was at the Olympiastadion, the setting for the Olympics in 1972. Some may recall that this was the same Olympics in which Palestinian terrorists captured and murdered 11 Israeli athletes. I saw the building where this occurred (see photo), as well as the incredible architecture of the Olympic Hall and Stadium.

After visiting the Olympic site, we went straight to the Hofbrauhaus, where I ordered a a classic meal of 2 veal sausages, a few pretzels, and a big mug of Hofbrauhaus brew. After a tasty meal, we visited the Glockenspiel of the Rathaus in Old Town Hall, and walked among the many little shops and vendors.

We returned back to Wombat's for a pub crawl, which took us to four different pubs and even supplied us with
free beer and stew for one hour. We ended our night with a few drinks at the Wombat's own little bar, and it was off to bed.

I've noticed one thing about my traveling experience so far- you have to pay for EVERYTHING. From the 18E (E=Euro) bus to Munich to the 15E price for the pub crawl, I definitely have noticed that NOTHING IS CHEAP! That's ok... that's why I worked hard this summer..

mahalo... Thomas

Pictures will be uploaded soon

3 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas!,
    What a fun trip through the streets of Munich. I look forward to seeing the pictures. They weren't up yet when I read your update. Everything sounds perfect! I've never heard of a 'pub crawl' but can assume it is 'bar hopping'? German's really know their brew! I'm glad you boys are well fed too.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thomas,
    Your mom shared this blog with me so I can follow your adventures. Very cool. I look forward to hearing more. Good luck and be safe.
    Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Thomas!!!
    What a lucky guy you are to have this experience!! I am so proud of you for doing this adventure! It sounds like you guys are having a great time and enjoying some great sightseeing and pub crawling!!Embrace every moment you have there and BE SAFE!!!! I love reading this blog - great job!! Love you honey,
    Hannah Cromett

    ReplyDelete