SEPTEMBER 12
We climbed Dun Aengus, a ancient fort 2nd century BC and was adjacent to a 300 foot cliff. The water span across the horizon as far as the eye could see. The cliff wasn't even roped off... one could take a false step and slip far down into the large oceanic swells. It was pristine and peaceful (let me remind you that it was an absolutely beautiful day). Another unforgettable moment.
We returned this day to relax in our cabins and take another quick trip down to Spiddal and back. That night, I ended up getting involved in a wedding reception at the Park Lodge Hotel. You see, the night before this one, my friends and I were relaxing in the PLH bar, and a few members of the wedding party were there. After a few drinks, everyone got really friendly and they insisted that we attend this wedding reception that was occurring the following evening. John and I felt quite obliged to go check it out, and we were welcomed with open arms on Saturday night. By the end of the night, I had been offered many free drinks, made many new friends, and had danced and sung merrily with these generous irish folk till 5am. While the next morning was only a little rough, it was worth it. I had such a good time with these people and I hardly knew them.. the situation was just hilarious. John, the other celebrity of the party, had met his new "Mom" and was convinced that it was the greatest night of his life. If you want to know more, let me know. It seems as if just words cannot adequately describe the fun I experienced.
SEPTEMBER 13
This morning was a bit rough around the edges, but still quite fine. Another BEAUTIFUL day in Ireland- the sun was shining with blue skies. After catching what I could of a purely Gaelic-spoken mass, I got in a bus with my classmates and headed off to WB Yeats's house and Coole Park (see photos). Yeats house was interesting, and was made even better when one of our professors, Gerard O'Brien, guided us around a
nd read us some excerpts from Yeats's poems. Dr. O'Brien also took us around Coole Park, a place
Upon returning, we ate (just sandwiches for me) and headed off to Hughes Pub in Spiddal. We each had a pint of Guinness in Hughes (unfortunately we missed the musicians that were supposedly there) and talked to the locals. Apparently there was a huge victory for the local Gaelic Football team, so everyone was celebrating. We were honored to take a drink of whiskey out of a huge trophy. Afterwards, we met a man on the way home who played the accordion while two of my classmates (Molly and Katie) did an irish stepdance on the streets of Spiddal. Before heading home, a few of us more ambitious students took a dip in the Gaelic Sea. Refreshing, but cold. Tomorrow starts the first day of classes... we'll see how it goes!
PICTURES UP SOON
mahalo..
Thomas
Wow. Sounds like you are having a blast! Can't wait to hear all about it!
ReplyDeleteShave already.
ReplyDeletePut your cap on right.
Drink less
GPB