As a part of an assignment for my Ethics Seminar class, I have the option to blog about my experiences with my classes as well as my experience. As a "two-for-one," I plan on placing my reflections on this blog. Hope you enjoy...
On Monday, I attended Irish History and Contemporary Irish Catholicism. Each of these are three hours long so, needless to say, we are all pretty anxious to be finished with classes by the end of the day on Monday. The nice thing, however, is that we only have these classes once a week. Why not get it done all at once?
In Irish History, we discussed the end of Gaelic Ireland and the invasion and inhabitance of the 'New English' settlers and suppression of 'Old English' settlers. We also discussed the story of Hugh O'Neill and Flight of the Earls. We even watched a movie about the Nine Year's War. This whole time, I could not help but to think of America's Colonization, and how Ireland is similar
as a "melting-pot." Ireland has been invaded so many times and is the product of so many ethnicities and backgrounds (perhaps not like the Americas but similar). Irish Catholicism included an interesting movie concerning the Book of Kels... I can't WAIT to
see that in Dublin.
Today, the Ethics Seminar included a Seamus Heaney poem session concerning bogs, a reflection on the past weekend's experience in Connemara, and a discussion on the weekend ahead. This weekend includes an excursion to County Mayo and a climbing of Croagh Patrick, among other things. Also, Thursday is ARTHUR DAY, the 250th anniversary of Guinness. We do NOT have any class that day.. and a majority of the crew (including myself) will most likely be in Galway enjoying the "holiday." Hope all of you back at home celebrate too!
mahalo...
Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment