Friday, January 14, 2011

Last Blog From Ireland... for now


What a quick trip! One last update, and I can finally tell you where I reside at this very moment!


John and I arrived in Galway at 5:30p.m. on Thursday night. We had previously arranged with Rory to pick us up at 7:00p.m. from the bus station, so we had some time to kill. No problem! I completed the rest of my Christmas shopping, and even managed to get an Aran Islands sweater for myself! We grabbed a couple pints at one of our favorite pubs, Fox's, and got a lift from Rory back home to his house. Rory was kind enough to get us Chinese take-out, tea and hot whiskeys, and even drive us down to the pier for one last walk down it. A dark cloud hung over everything… we did not feel like leaving the next day.


One Last Glance


After a good night's sleep at Rory's, John and I woke to a delicious, full Irish breakfast. Our spirits were lifted as we munched down the delicious rashers, black pudding, eggs, and roasted tomatoes. John and I took a satisfying walk down to the beach afterwards, walking along the ocean and picking up Galway Bay stones for our friends and classmates back home. The rest of the day was spent in goodbyes and final preparations for home. I got some nice pictures with Jane Marie and Rory (see below), got a pint at Hughe's Pub in Spiddal, got our last cup of tea and sandwich from Rory, etc. While it was sad saying goodbye, I must say it was one of my favorite days of the trip.


Rory and Me on Spiddal Beach


Rory took us in to Galway and dropped us off by a restaurant where we met the Galway girls for the last time. Rory was certainly sad, and it was hard to see him go. It was nice to have the girls to talk to afterwards… kind of dispelled the sadness. We told Brona and Elaine about our adventures in Spain and did a fair job at convincing them to come to Minnesota (we'll see!). Afterwards, we caught a bus to Shannon Airport.


Thats where this blog leaves me now! It is 1:00a.m., and I'm waiting for my check-in time. The adventure is over, and as Rory kept on reminding us in true, depressing Irish style, "All good things must come to an end." This may be true, but, as I liked to remind him, "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end" (kudos to the folks that can name that lyric's song).


My time in Ireland was grand, and it is comforting to know that I will come back someday. It is a place I cherish, and I know that it will always be in my heart; therefore, I know that I will return. Welp, Ireland, it's been good (again). Thanks for the good run. Catch you on the flip side… slainte!


-Tomas Seoighe


No comments:

Post a Comment