Just about a year ago, I was mounting a flight in Heathrow Airport. As the plane took off, I recall thinking, "When will I be back to Europe?" Well, it seems as if I am returning sooner than I expected.
This summer I was able to purchase tickets to Ireland for leisure travel during winter break. Why am I going back? A few reasons...
1. Visit friends.
Me, Rory, John
For those of you who don't know... I studied abroad in Galway, Ireland during the Fall of 2009 (the older posts of this blog should detail my travels during my 2009 excursion). During my time in Ireland, our group stayed in cottages at the Park Lodge Hotel for the semester. The Foyle Family are the innkeepers for this hotel, and during my time there I was able to befriend this family. I also met and befriended a local cab driver, Rory, who I've kept in contact with since returning from Ireland. Rory was kind enough to offer myself and John (good friend, Study Abroad 2009 fellow adventurer, Ireland comrade) lodging when we return. John and I also befriended a few galway girls that attend (or attended) National University of Ireland - Galway. We will also be visiting John's Aunt and Uncle in Rosstrevor and an exchange student in Belfast that goes to my college.
2. A wedding.
One of my friends, Tom, is traveling to Ireland for his sister's wedding during this time. Tom's sister Becky is marrying Joe, who she met at the Park Lodge Hotel while they were both on study abroad programs. Becky and Joe returned to the Park Lodge for John Paul Foyle's wedding, where Joe proposed to Becky. Now, they are returning to the Park Lodge Hotel to tie the knot. I'm just there to crash the wedding.
3.... Um, the Guinness?
Yes, this is totally a leisure trip. Thankfully, the tickets weren't terribly expensive, and Ireland has become a country that I am very passionate about. While over there, I am interested in exploring a work visa for a few months. I can't be sure of this, however, as Ireland's unemployment rate is +15%. The Euro is relatively low, and while there's snow over there, I'm still ready to go over and see my friends.
John, Tom, and I are all very good friends that all go to the same college, so this is going to be a very special trip for me. John and I are also taking a side trip to Madrid, Spain to visit a few collegiate friends there as well.
The Itinerary
Arrive December 26
December 26 - January 3: Galway, Ireland
(Becky and Joe's Wedding on Dec. 28)
January 3 - January 5: Rosstrevor, Northern Ireland
January 5 - January 7: Belfast, Northern Ireland
January 8 - January 13: Madrid, Spain
January 14 - 15: Galway, Ireland
January 15 Eve: HOME
I hope that is enough background information for you... enjoy the posts to come!
Slainte,
Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment